Monday, April 9, 2007

Ani-mail

Channel surfing can be a sport for some, but for insomnia-ridden mortals like me it just something to keep busy with. In my case, late night TV watching is a novelty; I much prefer to burrow myself in the warmth of my bed, with my favorite book.

But Thursday was a different day; the morning was unusually damp and cold (the usually incorrect met department blamed the- western disturbances) and by evening there was a slight nip in the air. And so I as tucked myself in the comfort of my bed, religiously masticating on my midnight snack and watching the “ The Haunting of Seacliff House”, frightened, yet occasionally comforted by the loud snoring of my now old dog, I flipped the channel.

What happened next?
Animal Planet – There are something’s that never change!! And thank God for that!!!

The programme on TV- Cell Dogs

Four unmanageable dogs, which we to be put down only a couple of months ago at the local shelter, were brought in at the Toledo Correctional Center. After intensive training and monitoring four convict volunteers at the center were selected to become their handler and trainers. The four convict handlers were given the responsibility for taking care of the dogs- bathing, cleaning, walks and exercise. The dogs even slept in the same room. Each of the handlers spoke about their relationship with the dogs, each one expressed their gratitude to their canine friends for teaching them virtues of patience and love and companionships. The dogs on their part all got adopted and now have new homes.

Need another reason to know that animals and men are dependent. Another reason not to hurt an animal on the street or in the wild….


Moral of the story: Flick channels till you learn what is best for you!!

No comments: